The Master of Science in Athletic Training (MSAT) program is a two-year professional degree program that prepares students for a career as an athletic trainer. The program includes a rigorous combination of classroom, clinical, and research experiences that exposes students to the continuum of care of the athletic training profession. Students who earn an M.S. in Athletic Training degree are prepared to sit for the Board of Certification (BOC) examination.
Note: This is an entry-level professional degree program for students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in a field other than athletic training. Students with an undergraduate degree in athletic training and BOC certification who are interested in the postprofessional athletic training master’s program can click here.
- Completed bachelor's degree in exercise science or related field
- Students are eligible to apply to the program during their final year of undergraduate work; however, official enrollment in the program will not occur until all requirements for the bachelor’s degree have been completed in full.
- Completed required prerequisite coursework
- Students are eligible to apply to the program prior to completion of prerequisites; however, enrollment in the program will not occur until all required prerequisite coursework has been completed. Applicants who have complete the preferred prerequisite coursework in addition to the required prerequisite coursework will be given priority consideration.
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Applicants with additional EMT certification will be given priority consideration.
- Completed GRE
- Applicants with a total score of 300 (combined verbal and quantitative) will be given priority consideration.
- Completed application
- Applications completed by January 15 will be given priority consideration.
Required Prerequisite Courses (for IU Bloomington)
|Course||at IUPUI||Course Prerequisites|
|Human Anatomy||BIOL-N 261|
|Human Physiology||BIOL-N 217|
|Chemistry||CHEM-C 105 & CHEM-C 125||CHEM-C 101 or take the chemistry placement test to test into CHEM-C 105 & CHEM-C 125|
|Biology||BIOL-K 101 & BIOL-K 103||MATH 11100; M118; M119; 15300, or 15400|
|Exercise Physiology||KINE-P 409||KINE-P 215|
BIOL-N 261 & BIOL-N 271
BIOL-N 212 & BIOL-N 213 &
BIOL-N 214 & BIOL-N 215
|Physics||PHYS 21800||MATH 15300 & MATH 15400 |
|Biomechanics||KINE-P 391||PHYS 21800 or PHYS-P 201|
|Human Nutrition||KINE-P 220|
|Statistics||PSY-B 305 or STAT 30100|
Preferred Prerequisite Courses (for IU Bloomington)
|Intro to Athletic Training||2–3|
|CPR & First Aid||3|
|Emergency Medical Technician||3–4|
|Strength & Conditioning||2–3|
- 46 credit hours with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- A minimum grade of C– in all classes
Students will complete a progressive sequence of clinical education experiences designed to lead to autonomous patient care as an athletic trainer. The program provides opportunities with various patient populations across multiple athletic training practice settings, including secondary schools, Division I athletics, the military, the performing arts, and physician offices.
Tuition and Fees
The current tuition rate for graduate courses in the School of Public Health is $399.72 per credit hour for in-state students and $1,233.02 for out-of-state students. The average costs for academic fees are $669.29 per semester.
Tuition and fees are subject to change. Prospective and current students can estimate tuition and fees at: Student Central > Estimate your tuition and fees.
MSAT Program Costs
Additional costs specific to the MSAT program include:
- Books and associated course materials ($100–$300 per semester)
- NATA student membership fee ($75 per year)
- Professional liability insurance ($35 per year)
- BOC certification examination ($330 onetime fee at the end of the program of study)
- TB vaccine (optional)—cost varies; significant low cost for IU students at the IU Health Center
- HBV immunization (optional)—cost varies; significant low cost for IU students at the IU Health Center
For additional information, please click: http://www.publichealth.indiana.edu/program-areas/master-athletic-training/index.shtml