If you plan on applying to the Dental Hygiene program, please be aware that this program has added a new requirement to the application: the Admissions Test for Dental Hygiene (ATDH).
The ATDH is:
- Used as a nationally administered standardized admission test for individuals applying to dental hygiene programs.
- Administered to understand the skill levels of the dental hygiene applicants.
- Used to assist with admissions decisions.
- Targeted toward college-ready high school graduates.
The ATDH assesses critical thinking, focusing on candidate skills in the following areas:
- Reading comprehension
- Language usage
- Quantitative reasoning
- Perceptual ability (same as DAT)
- General chemistry
All applicants must take the Admission Test for Dental Hygiene (ATDH). Please keep the following in mind:
- The IU School of Dentistry (IUSD) accepts your highest ATDH score, regardless of whether it is the most recent score. You must have taken the ATDH no more than three years prior to the date you submit your application.
- Your score report will be sent directly from the ADA to IUSD. When you fill out the ATDH application, you will receive instructions on how to have the ADA send your score report.
- The cost of the exam is $125. You can request a fee waiver from the ADA for 50% off the cost of the exam at www.ada.org/atdh. You can download the 2021 ATDH guide there, as well.
- The test is administered at Prometric Testing Locations throughout the United States.
- The test is administered between September 1 and October 31 each year. This means if you plan to apply to the Dental Hygiene program for the fall 2022 application cycle, you will need to take the test soon. Go to the IUPUI Dental Hygiene website for more information.
- As in the past, for the 2021>–2022 application cycle applicants will still need to complete their application on DHCAS, observe two dental hygienists in separate offices for four hours each, and write a personal statement.
If you have any questions about this new application requirement, please contact Lisa Maxwell, dental hygiene program director, for more information at email@example.com.
For all other questions related to preparing to apply to the Dental Hygiene program, please schedule an appointment with your HLS advisor by visiting the Student Appointment Scheduler or by contacting our office at 317-274-4856.