What does a veterinarian do? According to Purdue University:
- "Veterinarians take health histories of animals, perform and interpret tests, diagnose problems, prescribe medications, develop treatment plans, and perform surgeries.
- Veterinary medicine is a very large field encompassing many fascinating careers.
- Veterinarians can specialize in large, small, and exotic animal care.
- Areas in need of more veterinarians are food animal safety and laboratory animal health.
- Having a love for animals is important in veterinary medicine, as well as being able to work with people.
- Veterinarians are helping pet owners through difficult times, keeping our food supply safe, and studying diseases that often impact human populations.
- Many veterinarians are also involved in homeland security issues to help prevent bioterrorist attacks and to help protect our populations following one.
- Veterinary medicine is a complex field with many opportunities to work with both animals and people."